Riveting the Right Bottom Skin
Rearrange sock drawer……check
Clean under the refrigerator…..check
Inventory my shoes…..check
Ok, I guess I’m out of things to do. It must be time to rivet the bottom skin onto the right wing.
Michelle and I got out to the garage Sunday and spent a good 3 hours getting the inboard skin fully attached and the outboard skin started. As usual some of the rivets are painful to get to with a bucking bar. We goofed bad on one rivet and bent some aluminum. Its on the bottom of the wing, so it wont be seen. The metal is just creased, there is no split, so its cosmetic. Building on.
One of the other tasks that had to get done on the right wing was getting the bracket for the autopilot servo in place. This turned into a major ordeal. I dont have any good pictures, but the bell crank bearing is a brass bushing that rides inside the bell crank. The bolt that holds it all in place slips inside of the bushing. What happened was when I fitted the new bracket the distances between the brackets was slightly different. Thinking that the problem was with the bell crank, I replaced that. That didnt work. I ended up ordering a new bell crank and a new brass bushing and it worked fine. The problem seemed to be that the brass bushing was just a tad too short. So I have a few spare bell cranks if anyone needs one.
In the above picture the new bracket is in the foreground.