Skip to content

Left Wing Assembly Complete

November 19, 2012

All attached!

The left wing is as done as it can be.  All the major assembly work is complete.  There is a ton of calibration to do to the aileron and flap and the pushrods, all the fiberglass, lights etc…. but this is it for now.  All of those other tasks will wait for the wings to be attached to the fuselage.

Michelle and I spent almost all of yesterday getting the outboard skin riveted to the wing.  Had to drill out 3 or 4 rivets, but other than that it was just tedious.  I have a bruise on my forearm, which I tried to take a picture of but it doesn’t come out very well.  My fingers are a little sore from having to hold the bucking bar in very odd angles.  Michelle is noticing some tendinitis  in her arm (tennis elbow) from clecos and holding up the rivet gun all day.  But even with all that, it is done and we can move on the to right wing.   whoopee….

I have mentioned this before, but the wings are the most tiresome and tedious things to do.  I doubt there are as many rivets in the whole fuselage as there are in just one wing….or the number is really close.  I really like riveting, but I do have my limits.  🙂

No clecos to be seen. Love it!

I did find a few rivets in my flap that I forgot (whoops) and I’ll go shoot those tonight.  The fitting of the skins was kind of odd.  The inside skin was real tight and I really had to work to get the rivets along the main spar to go in without re-drilling.  You never want to re-drill a hole if you can avoid it.  The pre-punched nature of the holes means that they should fit.  If they aren’t fitting then something is off.  In my case, I think it is due to my fluting job on the ribs.  I had a few ribs that I could just not get straight to save my life.

The outer skin, on the other hand, went on perfectly.  All the holes aligned just right and I never felt like I was having to finagle anything.  Rarely had to use my ice pick or my hammer to get a rivet to fit in it’s hole.  It was very easy from the start.

There are a few places, like at the junction of the rear spar, a rib and two skins where you are sure it would only be practical to use a couple of pulled rivets.  But just keep bending your arms and wrist into inhuman shapes and you’ll get it.  I seem to remember a few in that spot that I could only use my tungsten bar balancing on my fingertips to do.

Here is a picture of the assembled bell crank. The larger aluminum tube, oriented horizontally, in the foreground will be connected to the stick in the cockpit. The smaller round metal rod, oriented vertically, connects to the aileron.

The wire in the above picture is for the stall warning switch.  It looks like it is going to be in the way of the bell crank, but that is just a 2-D illusion.  It is actually anchored in two places, one “up” where the wire comes out of the conduit and to the right it attaches to an anchor attached to a rib and wire tied in.

No clecos to be seen. Love it!

After i get some inspection covers made made up, which should take all of 20-minutes, then I’ll get this wing to storage bring the right wing back.  I still need to do some work on it.  I need to run the electrical conduit and run the wires for the lights.  Of course I also have to attach the bottom skins on it, as well.  The only good part there is that I know that when I’m done…I’m done.

Advertisements

From → Build Log, Skins, Wings

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: