Skip to content

Plodding on With Flap Linkage

I know, I know.  I haven’t posted in forever.  That isn’t to say that I haven’t done anything.  I’ve actually gotten quite a bit done.  In this post I’ll show what I’ve done with the flap linkage.   First things first.  I have to make the linkage from the flap actuator to the flap, F-759A.  The tube is a 5/16″ aluminum tube that you must tap 1″ deep on each end.  So I eventually find the tube.

20160716_135054

I cut it the requisite 4 7/8″ and start tapping.

20160716_142638

Sorry for the blurry pic.  You aren’t missing anything because after many attempts I cannot tap this tube straight.  I come to the conclusion that I do not have the experience or tools or extra tube to learn.  The problem is that I simply cannot get the tap to enter the tube perfectly straight.  I ruin multiple pieces and realize it aint gonna work.

Researching I find that many people have this issue, and there is a solution.  The RV9 uses a similar linkage, but the flap push-rod on the RV9 is made of sturdier stuff.  It is made of a hexagonal rod that comes pre-threaded.  That is the way to go.  I order from Vans and wait.

20160721_173737

And it arrives.  On the left is the original material and on the right is the hex rod from Vans.  In the middle is the finished rod that I made.

Now this works perfectly, but remember that the hole you have to drill through the fuselage is much larger for the hex rod than for the round.  This cannot be avoided.

First Try at Tube

I have reached that point in the build where I realize that there are a lot fewer rivets left to pound than there are already pounded.  I’m starting to work with material I haven’t worked with before.  Today is tubing for the fuel vent inside the cabin.  I only screwed up one place, which of course caused me to have to redo the entire tube, but thats ok.  It’s a learning process.  I am going to stick with the stock Vans tubing.  It is very easy to bend.  Inside the cabin the tube has lots of bends.  Read and follow the plans on DWG-36.  If you look at the top of your F-902R/L you’ll see a series of holes where there will be some future rivets.  Pay attention to the tube bend in this area.

2015-11-27 15.35.56

If the radius is to small, you’ll interfere with the rivets later on.

Otherwise it was a pretty straight forward operation.  There’s a lot of taking the part in and out and resizing….but its pretty easy.  Be careful to not crimp the line.  Bend slowly, very slowly.

2015-11-27 15.36.11

This is where the vent live dumps overboard. Just forward of the pedals on the pilots side.

2015-11-27 15.16.44 2015-11-27 15.16.52

535 Days

Thats how much time has passed since I worked on my plane.  When I did that calculation I just couldn’t believe it.  Apollo 11 only lasted 8-days, Columbus found the new world in about 60 days.  Thats the scale of time that I’ve been working with.  I knew that my move would be long, but didn’t expect this long.

So I’m in the new garage shop which is quite a bit smaller than my shop in Arkansas.  As you can see in some of my last posts from there I had my plane inside and had one of the wings on.  This will not be possible in my new place.

Wall space is at a premium.  It seems I need wall space for everything.  I think I have as much stuff on the walls as I could get, but wall space isn’t just about hanging things on the wall.  It is also about putting things against the wall.  I purchased a new table from Sams Club and it resides against a wall.  My old EAA table now has wheels and can be moved around.  I also purchased a stand-up tool box from Sears and it holds all my hand tools.  It is also on rollers and can be moved around as need be.  I added some new light bars to increase the amount in the shop.  I can already tell it wont be enough.  I just wish I had a bit more space.   Not a huge amount, just a bit more.

I found myself constantly complaining about the amount of space I didn’t have.  I was always tweaking this and that coming up with any excuse to not get started again.  Sunday I decided that I was ready for a dry run.  I needed a couple of shims for the front wing mounts.  One would be a .063 and one would be a .032.  I needed my band saw, bench grinder and sanding station.  I made two trips to Lowes.  I needed some bolts to hold my bench grinder in place and I needed a power strip for my EAA table.  My old table location didn’t move much and I had a power strip on it in AR.  I relocated the power strip for another application, so I ended up getting a new one.  With the power problem solved I spent time re adjusting my sanding station and installing a new Scotch-Brite wheel on my bench grinder.  In Bentonville my garage floor was fairly level.  Not so in McKinney.  The floor is pretty slanted, so getting things level is hard.  I shimmed my sanding station enough to use it, but it was pretty clear that this is a task I am going to have to solve.

Once all this was done I was able to get my shims made.  The came out great.